Associate General Counsel
The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance spans 70 countries and includes farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and millions of individuals. Together we work to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 30 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
At the Rainforest Alliance we combat climate change, protect forests and biodiversity, promote human rights, and improve livelihoods. The enormity of the social and environmental challenges we are facing requires working together in a broad alliance. This is why we bring farmers, forest communities, companies, and consumers together to change the way the world produces, sources, and consumes.
To protect nature and improve lives it’s becoming increasingly urgent that we approach the way we use our land and produce food and other products in more sustainable ways. For this to succeed we need to fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and source, and the choices we all make as consumers.
Our growing global alliance aims to transform our relationship with our natural resources and each other, to create a better future for people and nature together.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
The Assistant General Counsel, under the supervision of General Counsel, will work on a broad range of legal matters primarily in the Africa region as well as collaboratively working with regional directors and staff in Africa. The Assistant General Counsel will give legal advice to management about all relevant issues. This position requires business-level fluency in English and French.
- Effectively ensure legal conformity and minimize probability of exposure; and
- Advise corporate and affiliate boards and representatives, and departments/staff, solicited and unsolicited, in all legal areas including (international) employment law, contract law, corporate law, civil law, data privacy, intellectual property, disputes and international human rights law.
- Responsible for all regional contract law matters including drafting, negotiating and interpreting agreements including consultancy, employment, grant, lease, services, license, vendor, and other contracts;
- Responsible for advising on employment and labor law issues for the Africa region;
- Responsible for corporate governance matters for RA entities and branches in the Africa region;
- Assist the Legal, Global Internal Compliance, and HR departments with drafting policies and training staff;
- Collaborate and coordinate with external legal advisors/specialists/company secretaries;
- Manage the selection, oversight, vetting and engagement of outside counsel and/or specialist (including tax) advisors;
- Oversee, in coordination with the General Counsel and the relevant staff/department contract, employment and litigation disputes;
- Support data privacy matters in the Africa region;
- Being overall responsible for supporting Africa regional directors and staff with day-to-day legal advice;
- Review French translations of policies for accuracy;
- Assist in global management of trademark and other intellectual property portfolio including disputes, registrations and licensing;
- Assist the office of the General Counsel with ongoing projects as assigned;
- Support risk management and compliance efforts across the organization; and
- Other projects and activities as assigned.
- Deliver business legal services;
- Keep knowledge up to date through training and technical information by own initiative; and
- Attend relevant meetings, projects meetings, events and conferences, etc.
- Qualification to practice law in any of Cote d’Ivoire, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya or Democratic Republic of Congo;
- 6+ years law firm and in-house experience
- Familiarity with general corporate law in Africa region;
- Experience with local government laws and regulations related to contracts/grants;
- Experience in anti-bribery and anti-corruption policies and rules;
- An affinity towards sustainable and corporate social responsibility;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills in English and French required; and
- Excellent intercultural skills.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: December 11, 2021
Only candidates authorized to work in a listed location will be considered.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org