Senior Associate, Labor Rights, Mexico
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The position will sit in the Mexico Country Program of Rainforest Alliance, and will have technical oversight and guidance from Sub-grantee Stronger Together and as part of the Walmart Regional Fruit project team. The focus of this role is to test a model to deliver tangible improvements for workers, producers and buyers through Stronger Together’s responsible recruitment capacity building and tools. This role will also help build Rainforest Alliance’s internal capacity to ensure responsible recruitment of migrants and other farm workers.
Specifically, the individual will promote effective implementation of the 2020 Sustainable Agriculture Standard responsible recruitment requirements through application and adaptation of the Stronger Together Responsible Recruitment Toolkit and various forms of stakeholder engagement. Through this work, Rainforest Alliance and Stronger Together aim to build the capacity of US export-oriented producers to improve conditions for migrant workers and enable market access for certified and non-certified farms in Mexico and Costa Rica, in alignment with Stronger Together’s wider work in the Americas.
- Map, grow and manage relationships with stakeholders from businesses (including agricultural enterprises and labor providers), trade associations and bodies, third-sector, government, and international stakeholders (e.g., international buyers) to gain their participation in the project;
- Report to the Rainforest Alliance Program Manager and communicate project activities and results to the Stronger Together Global Programs Manager, and other relevant internal and external stakeholders;
- Participate in regular team calls with the Stronger Together Global Programs Manager, the Rainforest Alliance Project Manager, and with other Stronger Together and Rainforest Alliance team members;
- Work with Rainforest Alliance subject matter experts and Stronger Together team and in-country experts on local contextualization of existing responsible recruitment tools, and/or develop new tools as needed for the country and sector;
- Plan, arrange and coordinate the effective delivery of capacity building training workshops both face-to-face and online, including content development across all training modules;
- Piloting of the locally contextualised responsible recruitment tool and resources;
- Coordinate a feasibility study on the introduction of the Stronger Together labour recruiter certification scheme in the chosen sector;
- Assist with the development and dissemination of communications content and materials through the Rainforest Alliance Communications Manager and the Stronger Together networks; identify and follow up on opportunities for speaking engagements;
- Support the delivery of long-term strategy and sustainability of the Rainforest Alliance and Stronger Together Mexico programs, building their internal capacity to promote responsible recruitment across more commodities;
- Other duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, international development, social science or other related degree / or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience of working with businesses on sustainability issues, either working internally within a business or externally in partnership (e.g. not-for-profit organisation) or on a consultancy basis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) and in using online meeting and sharing software such as Google docs, Teams, Zoom etc.
- Fluent in Spanish and English.
- A good understanding of and good connections within the agricultural industry in Mexico.
- Knowledge of international labour standards, responsible recruitment and forced labour.
- Knowledge of the Rainforest Alliance’s 2020 Sustainable Agriculture Standard, and relevant ethical voluntary certification programs preferred.
- Ability to travel a minimum of 30% per year, nationally and internationally.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: October 31, 2021
Only candidates authorized to work in Mexico will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org