LandScale Market Development Manager
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
LandScale is an innovative new initiative, co-lead by the Rainforest Alliance, Verra and Conservation International, which aims to drive improvements in sustainability at landscape scale. To do this, we have developed a system, comprising an online platform, detailed guidance and a validation mechanism, to assess and communicate trusted information about landscape sustainability. From early 2022, the LandScale system will be available to any organization convening, implementing or financing work to improve sustainability at landscape scale. In addition to scaling the use of the LandScale system, we will be working to demonstrate that the information generated by LandScale assessments can form the basis for innovative market, financial and policy mechanisms (eg. sustainability linked loans, payment for ecosystem services, preferential sourcing) that can incentivize the actions needed to deliver improvements in sustainability at landscape scale. LandScale is developing a fee-based business model with the aim of becoming self-financing as soon as possible.
We are seeking an innovative, purpose-driven and commercially minded person to lead on Market Development for LandScale. S/he will play a critical role in launching our product to the market in early 2022, scaling the use of the LandScale system within our target market segments and ensuring optimal customer experience.
- Refine and execute LandScale’s market development strategy, including developing specific strategies and tactics for each priority market segment, which at present includes landscape partnerships, public and private investors, nature-based solutions project developers, government, and commodity producers and buyers.
- Through market research and both proactive and reactive engagement, build and manage LandScale’s customer pipeline to drive market uptake within priority market segments. This will include directly managing a portfolio of relationships with strategic accounts and reporting against relevant Key Performance Indicators in LandScale’s strategy.
- Implement and progressively improve LandScale’s Client Relationship Management system and protocols and ensure they are adopted by the LandScale team and Steering Group to ensure coordinated relationship management throughout the pipeline and sales funnel. Coordinate with Rainforest Alliance, Verra and Conservation International teams on market engagement as relevant.
- Work closely with LandScale’s product development and service delivery colleagues to ensure high levels of user satisfaction. Ensure that learning from users is captured and coordinated with the full LandScale team to harness this learning to adaptively improve LandScale’s product, services and value proposition.
- Serve as a matrix manager for LandScale implementation officers located in different parts of the world to foster a consistent and effective approach to promotion, pipeline development, customer engagement, and customer support.
- Work closely with LandScale’s communication lead to refine LandScale’s messaging and positioning; identify, secure and organize LandScale’s participation in strategic events; and collate content for marketing materials that demonstrate LandScale’s value proposition.
- Develop and fine-tune viable and sustainable revenue models in close collaboration with the Senior Programme Manager and product lead.
- Contribute to the development of LandScale’s partnership strategy and lead on external engagement with key influencers.
- Work with LandScale’s early users to identify, test and document innovative mechanisms through which LandScale could create new financial and market incentives (or strengthen existing ones) for improvements in sustainability at landscape scale.
Qualifications & Experience:
We seek candidates who have proven experience working on sustainability issues, ideally in or with the private sector; experience in developing and marketing new products or services; excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to convincingly represent a brand and service to its prospective customers and stakeholders; and demonstrated experience as a collaborative team player.
You should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry, agriculture, natural resources, environmental management, international development, economics, or a related field; and/or a Masters of Business Administration (MBA);
- At least seven years of progressively responsible professional experience, preferably with experience in marketing, start-ups and working in or with developing countries;
- Strong business development and negotiation skills, and proven track-record in translating customer needs into service offerings through scoping and customer proposal development;
- Strong understanding of sustainability risk and reporting frameworks; climate, conservation and development finance; landscape approaches; and commodity supply chain sustainability initiatives;
- Ability to think on-your-feet and comfortable as an external-facing representative of an initiative e.g., through in-person and online events, networking, webinars, promotional activities, and/or social media;
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities and relationships in a time sensitive manner;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals in a largely remote setting;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; written and spoken language ability in Spanish, French, Portuguese or Bahasa Indonesia is a plus.
- Willingness to travel up to 25% domestically and internationally, as required;
Commensurate with experience
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed beginning October 4, 2021 and continued on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is selected.
Only candidates authorized to work in the European or African countries in which we are registered will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org