Advocacy Lead, People
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Advocacy Lead will lead on the development and implementation of Rainforest Alliance’s advocacy and influencing strategies related to Human Rights and Livelihoods themes. They will be responsible for leading cross organizational advocacy on key issues relating to these topics and for building and maintaining relations with key public sector and civil society actors working on related issues.
The Advocacy Lead will be responsible for providing strategic direction, defining clear advocacy plans and recommending impactful strategies to enable Rainforest Alliance to effectively advocate for positive change to policy and implementation to create enabling environments for producers, workers and communities livelihoods to thrive and human rights be protected within key agricultural and forestry sectors.
They will implement advocacy work with key public and private actors in order to maximize impact towards sector change and increase Rainforest Alliance’s visibility. They will also work with key colleagues including Public Affairs team, Markets and Thematic colleagues and core communications colleagues to enable them to be able to support the advocacy strategy.
This is a role that requires working closely with many departments across the organization: Markets Transformation, Marketing & Communications, Regions, Leadership Team (LT), and colleagues in the Advocacy and Themes department.
- Lead the development and implementation of Rainforest Alliance advocacy strategy, plans and activities relating to key human rights and livelihoods themes;
- Facilitate cross departmental / organizational working groups on key advocacy goals;
- Ensure a shared vision, coherence and compliance for strategy and activities within Rainforest Alliance;
- Work closely with key teams including but not limited to thematic leads, global policy, communications, markets and regions;
- Advise on new advocacy and governmental affairs opportunities and requirements relating to advocacy goals;
- Advise, answer questions and support LT, heads of departments and colleagues across the globe– solicited and unsolicited – on Advocacy and Public Affairs and their implementation, execution and effectiveness of it;
- Build and maintain key relationships with key government, civil society, networks and influential policy makers;
- Initiate and organize meetings and participate in discussions with relevant groups, stakeholders and governments to advance Rainforest Alliance’s advocacy agenda.
- Represent Rainforest Alliance at relevant events, external forums and conferences and in various consultation structures;
- Mentor and manage Advocacy Officer(s) within the Advocacy – People team; and
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor degree in politics, public policy, communications or related.
- At least 10 years’ experience with planning, managing and implementing advocacy or public affairs strategies.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in managing cross organizational project teams.
- Political and/or civil society network in related topics.
- Knowledge of certification desirable.
- Experience mentoring colleagues.
- Strategic and analytical thinker.
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written – other languages desirable.
- Some travel may be required.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: September 19, 2021
Only candidates authorized to work in the in which we are registered located in Africa, Asia or Europe will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org