At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Director, Brazil, provides leadership and manages the strategic planning, fundraising and implementation of RA’s activities in Brazil. S/he harnesses RA’s institutional strategy of driving landscape and sector transformation to develop and execute a country strategy and country plan that responds to local needs; ensure excellence in all aspects of our mission delivery (technical, financial, compliance); and safeguards RA’s reputation and the quality of implementation of our certification programs. S/he will guide and lead a high-performing team, creating a culture that is aligned with RA’s values and maintaining deep collaboration bonds with colleagues in other countries and functional areas such as Markets; Communications; Standards & Assurance; Institutional Relations; Global Administration; HR; and Finance & Accounting. S/he will be responsible for ensuring the financial viability and sustainability of the sub-regional and country programs. S/he will be responsible for building functional alliances to scale-up our impacts. S/he will act as Country Director for Brazil and serve as Brazil legal representative.
Leadership and Management:
- The Rainforest Alliance’s Core Values are Impact, Change, Collaboration, Openness and Trust and as such they form the basis of the behaviors we demonstrate;
- Build a high-performing, results-oriented and mission-driven team that reflects the Rainforest Alliance’s vision and culture, creating a positive work environment for personnel;
- Guide, motivate and develop personnel, seeking opportunities for professional advancement and ensuring they understand how their work relates to RA’s global mission and strategy;
- Delegate authority to staff, ensuring that they are supported and connected to the broader organization, and ensure planned objectives are met in line with organizational policy and budgets;
- Create and oversee successful execution of the Brazil Country Strategy and corresponding annual workplans, with particular focus on Amazon engagement and domestic market development;
- Deliver effective and impactful implementation of RA’s mission by fostering a culture of implementation excellence and ensuring that RA attains its technical, financial, and contractual commitments;
- Foster structures and processes for effective collaboration within Brazil and with all other relevant RA units, at the regional and global level;
- Ensure the timely and high-quality completion of organizational, government and donor annual workplans, budgets, reports and audits;
- Foster and supervise compliance with RA and donor policies and procedures;
- Proactively identify and manage risk, escalating key issues to supervisors where appropriate; and
- Support the organization to address institutional crises and conflicts relevant to our work in Brazil.
Advocacy and External Engagement:
- Develop and maintain results-based, long-term partnerships with Rainforest Alliance clients, partners, platforms, NGOs, governments, certification bodies and other stakeholders;
- Enhance RA’s reputation, credibility and positioning in Brazil;
- Actively promote the use and consumption of Rainforest Alliance Certified, and other endorsed certifications (i.e. RSPO; FSC), in collaboration with Markets colleagues;
- Represent RA at key events, presentations, policy forums and roundtables; and
- In collaboration with Communications colleagues, develop and disseminate communications and marketing materials on work in Brazil.
Fundraising and business development:
- Develop and implement a long-term integrated Brazil financial plan, in collaboration with Finance, IR and other relevant units;
- Proactively identify funding opportunities and cultivate long-term relationships with senior leads and decision makers from governments, companies, aid agencies and other donors;
- Lead and/or provide key contributions to multilateral and bilateral fundraising proposals;
- In coordination with Markets colleagues, support organizational efforts to grow supply and demand for certified products from Brazil and increase royalty revenues;
- Oversee implementation of strategies for building domestic markets for sustainable products in Brazil; and to increase institutional profile in Brazil; and
- Identify and advance potential innovations in RA’s business model in Brazil (i.e. unrestricted funding opportunities; fee-for-service partnerships), in collaboration with supervisors and other relevant units.
- General & Administrative:
- Oversee the management of country office resources, including human resources, as applicable, in a matrix-management set-up with other relevant departments;
- Serve as designated bank account signatory for local accounts, delegating where appropriate;
- Ensure compliance with policies & procedures and internal controls, and their appropriate local adaptation;
- Maintain power of attorney for the legal entity; delegated authority for executing legal documents, including taxation, subject to review and approval; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position will oversee a team of 10 staff, with high growth prospects.
- This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning; assigning; and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelors’ or advanced degree in natural resource management, forestry, agriculture, marketing or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- At least 10 years’ experience in the development and execution of market-based conservation initiatives.
- 5+ years’ of experience managing a team of staff.
- Experience with strategy development and implementation.
- Knowledge and understanding of Rainforest Alliance´s Theory of Change; FSC, Rainforest Alliance certifications and/or other certification and verification standards and systems;
- At least 5 years of direct experience in preparing and implementing grants funded by bi-lateral and multi-lateral organizations and companies;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Strong knowledge and network of philanthropic landscape for institutional funders and demonstrated track-record securing large grants;
- Demonstrated success building partnerships and business with the private sector strongly preferred;
- Fluent in English and Portuguese, proficiency in Spanish a plus.
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 30% of the time nationally and internationally.
- Demonstrated commitment to the RA mission and values.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: August 6, 2021
Only candidates authorized to work in Brazil will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: email@example.com