Senior Associate, Accountability Framework initiative
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
ABOUT THE ACCOUNTABILITY FRAMEWORK INITIATIVE
The Accountability Framework initiative (AFi) is a collaborative effort, led by a diverse group of 24+ NGOs from around the world, to bring about a “new normal” of ethical supply chains that are protective of forests, other natural ecosystems, and human rights. Rainforest Alliance leads the secretariat (“Backbone Team”) for this initiative, providing strategy development, technical support, communications, coordination, and administration to support the work of the AFi’s coalition around the world. For more information, please visit: https://accountability-framework.org.
We are looking for a motivated, impact-driven professional to join the AFi Backbone Team. The ideal candidate will be strategic and goal-oriented with strong analytical skills, organization, and attention to detail. This individual will able to collaborate effectively with colleagues from diverse organizations and cultural backgrounds while prioritizing tasks, maintaining focus, and taking initiative to learn new skills in a dynamic working environment.
This position contributes to the implementation of all components of the AFi, including: 1) engaging key stakeholder groups (e.g., companies, industry groups and other sustainability initiatives) to apply the Accountability Framework to achieve ethical supply chains that protect forests and natural ecosystems and fully respect human rights; 2) conducting research and supporting the development of company-facing guidelines and resources on ethical supply chains for key tropical-origin commodities such as palm oil, soy, rubber, cocoa, wood pulp, beef, and leather; and 3) supporting overall management of the AFi, including tracking uptake of the Framework and managing collaborations with AFi coalition members.
The Senior Associate will contribute to the work of the AFi Backbone Team in the following three main areas.
Engage with key stakeholders to drive uptake of the Accountability Framework
- Engage with the 24+ members of AFi’s coalition and other partners to promote adoption of the Accountability Framework through their organizations and extended networks, including identifying new and existing opportunities and challenges, providing technical and operational support where needed, and collecting information and feedback on Framework uptake activities;
- Support in-depth engagements with industry associations, peer sustainability initiatives, and policy makers to integrate elements of the Accountability Framework into their policies, standards, or systems;
- Scope and research prospective new uptake targets;
- Support the AFi Communications Team to strengthen engagement with Framework users via events, resources, and communications materials;
Contribute to the development of AFi guidelines and strategies for key forest-risk commodity sectors
- Conduct research and analysis on trends in supply chain sustainability to support the prioritization and development of new Framework materials as well as strategies and contextualized guidelines for sectors such as palm oil, soy, rubber, cocoa, wood pulp, beef, and leather;
- Develop and update company profiles to help define uptake objectives and engagement tactics for high priority companies;
Support the overall management of the AFi and its coalition
- Design and implement a knowledge management system to collect data on uptake objectives and progress, user feedback, and other intelligence that will be used to inform decision-making and develop progress reports;
- Synthesize user feedback and tracking data to identify opportunities for greater uptake and recommendations for improving the Framework and its use cases;
- Support the Senior Manager to manage project grants, contracts, and partnerships;
- Support stakeholder consultations on draft Framework materials with companies, NGOs, and other organizations as/when needed; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in agriculture, forestry, international development, social sciences, economics, ecology, or a related field; Master’s degree preferred;
- At least two years of progressively responsible professional work experience, or equivalent experience;
- Strong understanding of sustainability issues and initiatives related to commodity supply chains, land use and governance, climate change mitigation, and human rights and livelihoods;
- Superior English speaking and writing skills;
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 15%;
- Work experience in tropical developing countries is a plus;
- Work experience with private sector companies (e.g., agribusiness, forest products sector and/or finance sector) is a plus; and
- Proficiency in Bahasa Indonesia, French, Portuguese, or Spanish is a plus.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed beginning July 8, 2021 and continued on a rolling basis until a successful candidate is selected.
To apply, please furnish a resume, cover letter, names and contact information of two professional or academic references, and two of your own work samples (preferably one technical written product and one other sample, such as a news article, presentation, or blog post).
Only candidates authorized to work in the UK or EU are eligible for the position.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org