Markets Transformation Manager, UK & Ireland
The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance spans 70 countries and includes farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and millions of individuals. Together we work to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 30 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
At the Rainforest Alliance we combat climate change, protect forests and biodiversity, promote human rights, and improve livelihoods. The enormity of the social and environmental challenges we are facing requires working together in a broad alliance. This is why we bring farmers, forest communities, companies, and consumers together to change the way the world produces, sources, and consumes.
To protect nature and improve lives it’s becoming increasingly urgent that we approach the way we use our land and produce food and other products in more sustainable ways. For this to succeed we need to fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and source, and the choices we all make as consumers.
Our growing global alliance aims to transform our relationship with our natural resources and each other, to create a better future for people and nature together.
At the Rainforest Alliance we are looking for a collaborative and results oriented Markets Transformation Manager to position the Rainforest Alliance as a sustainability partner of choice and thought leader with key industry forums and companies in the UK and Ireland.
Market Transformation is the strategic process of intervening in a market to create lasting change in market behaviour by removing barriers and/or utilizing opportunities to accelerate the adoption of all sustainable sourcing practices and landscape investment.
At The Rainforest Alliance, Market transformation describes both a policy objective and a program strategyto promote the value and while we recognize and harness the power of market forces and players, we conceptualize market transformation as a holistic, multi-stakeholder strategy.
Working with the Key Markets team within Markets Transformation the UK Country Manager will use their knowledge of UK and Irish supply chains and the sustainability agenda to develop and implement a Country strategy to make Rainforest Alliance the preferred sustainability partner.
A key distinction is that market transformation is motivated by the social objectives of improving the performance of supply chain. And like marketing strategies in the private sector, it often requires ongoing measures to achieve and sustain desired market outcomes.
· The Rainforest Alliance’s Core Values are Impact, Change, Collaboration, Openness and Trust and as such they form the basis of the behaviours we demonstrate;
· Leads creation and implementation of Markets Transformation strategy in the UK and Ireland to establish Rainforest Alliance as a sustainability leader in the market;
· Gathers market intelligence on sustainability trends and insights that are relevant to advancing Rainforest Alliance’s mission and strengthening our relevance to global sustainable development;
· Responsible for Markets Transformation revenue goals in the UK and Ireland;
· Responsible for expanding engagement across Rainforest Alliance’s suite of offerings;
· Collaborates with other relevant departments on Rainforest Alliance’s positioning in the market (notably Advocacy & Themes and Marketing & Communications).
· Manages a portfolio of relationships including corporate partners, industry forums and other key stakeholders in the UK and Ireland;
· Creation and monitoring of country and account plans/goals for most important accounts in the UK and Ireland;
· Works closely with colleagues in the Certification Led Sectors department to understand Rainforest Alliance’s sector priorities and translate that into engagement and growth opportunities in the market;
· Advance organizational visibility and thought leadership (i.e. uptake of certification and market innovations, engagement with relevant stakeholders, media coverage, etc.);
· The incumbent will lead a small team of individuals and will carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include hiring; mentoring and evaluating; guiding professional development opportunities; and addressing employee relations issues;
· Bachelor degree in Agriculture, Food Sciences, Business Administration or relevant field; or equivalent working experience;
· Minimum 7 years progressive experience in agriculture or forestry related supply chain management in the UK; with demonstrable experience in business development or key account management including strategy development and implementation;
· Minimum 2 years people management experience;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrable experience of engaging at industry conferences and high-level meetings;
· Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner;
· Knowledge of, and commitment to sustainability practices, environmental issues and challenges in the agricultural and forestry sectors;
· Experience in a Global international environment preferred.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals;
· Written and verbal proficiency in languages other than English such as Spanish, French, or Portuguese is a plus.
· Ability to travel in the UK and Ireland up to 20% of time; occasional international travel may be required.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: August 5, 2021
Only candidates authorized to work in the United Kingdom will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.