Economics Senior Officer
At the Rainforest Alliance, we are building an alliance to create a better future for people and nature by making responsible business the new normal. To advance our mission, we focus on amplifying our impact on the ground through systemic transformation: change across the entire supply chain, change in the relationship between people and nature, and change within our own organization. We achieve this transformation by working in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders to create a stronger Alliance. Together, we amplify the voices of farmers and forest communities, improve livelihoods, protect biodiversity, and help people adapt to climate change in bold and effective ways. We embrace transparency because we believe that the best way to build trust across our alliance is through openness about our tactics, our impact, and partners on the ground. Together, we can achieve our vision of a world where people and nature thrive in harmony.
The Advocacy and Themes department provides leadership, technical knowledge and strategic vision around the core thematic priorities that underpin the Rainforest Alliance mission to ensure coherence, influence and impact.
It is responsible for driving government and stakeholder advocacy in priority sectors and working with civil society, non-governmental and inter-governmental organizations to drive change and strengthen alliances.
Connecting external policy developments, technical expertise, experience from stakeholders throughout global supply chains and an understanding of how to influence change the department defines how Rainforest Alliance envisions change on the key themes that contribute to our mission.
As a member of the Livelihoods and Human Rights team the Economics Senior Officer will be key to providing support to Rainforest Alliance’s livelihoods and economics work as well as providing a contact point to colleagues within the organization on key economic issues.
- Gather, manage and share knowledge, information and resources on livelihoods and economic topics to support internal and external stakeholders;
- Support Livelihoods and Human Rights colleagues in developing the thematic vision and intersection with other themes, and incorporating this vision into strategic interventions;
- Manage thematic projects, including monitoring of deliverables, being first point of contact and managing relationships;
- Support the implementation of the Rainforest Alliance certification program, related tools and guidance;
- Provide technical expertise and economic analysis related to the certification program and donor- and company- funded projects on core livelihoods and economic
- Provide ad hoc support to the work of the Livelihood team as required
- Minimum working experience of 5-7 yrs with undergraduate degree or 3 yrs experience in economics and livelihoods related work, preferably with experience in the global South
- At a minimum a bachelor’s degree in Economics; International Development or related studies. Master's degree in agricultural development, agricultural economics or related fields would be a significant plus;
- Broad agro-economic culture with a good understanding of the obstacles limiting the improvement of the economic performance of farmers and the livelihoods of farmers and workers;
- Experience in the design, management and/or evaluation of agricultural development projects or policies
- Experience in methods of data collection, surveys, systemic analysis, economic calculations and impact analysis is desirable;
- Experience in the sustainable production of at least one of Rainforest Alliance focus crops (cocoa, coffee, tea, banana) would be preferable;
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written. Additional languages in particular Spanish and/or French are an asset;
- Some travel may be required.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: June 17 2021
Only candidates authorized to work in the countries in which we are registered will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: email@example.com