Senior Associate, Institutional Relations
The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance spans 70 countries and includes farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and millions of individuals. Together we work to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 30 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
At the Rainforest Alliance we combat climate change, protect forests and biodiversity, promote human rights, and improve livelihoods. The enormity of the social and environmental challenges we are facing requires working together in a broad alliance. This is why we bring farmers, forest communities, companies, and consumers together to change the way the world produces, sources, and consumes.
To protect nature and improve lives it’s becoming increasingly urgent that we approach the way we use our land and produce food and other products in more sustainable ways. For this to succeed we need to fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and source, and the choices we all make as consumers.
Our growing global alliance aims to transform our relationship with our natural resources and each other, to create a better future for people and nature together.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
Working as part of a global fundraising team, the Senior Associate, Institutional Relations will be responsible for growing relationships and securing funding from corporate and private foundations. As a member of the Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) unit, this role works as part of a team focused on building external relationships and growing this revenue source. This role will identify and research funding opportunities, in line with Rainforest Alliance program priorities, with new and existing donors and support all aspects of donor engagement, including donor cultivation and stewardship. Working closely with program and finance staff, the Senior Associate coordinates and drafts compelling concept notes and funding proposals, with the goal of meeting short-term revenue targets and adding to the long-term pipeline of institutional funding for future years. The Senior Associate partners with grant management colleagues to ensure high-quality and timely reporting to donors.
- The Rainforest Alliance’s Core Values are Impact, Change, Collaboration, Openness and Trust and as such they form the basis of the behaviours we demonstrate;
- As a member of the Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) Team, the Senior Associate manages a distinct donor portfolio and supports other CFR team members with wider portfolio development, with a focus on private foundations and corporate philanthropies;
- Work across the organization, collaborating with other teams and colleagues in different geographic locations, to write, adapt, and edit proposals, reports, and concept papers for international field projects and programs;
- Assist colleagues on the Institutional Relations team with the writing and editing of complex proposals, donor collateral and other donor-centric written materials;
- Develop collaborative working relationships with colleagues across functional areas, particularly field teams with whom proposals and reports will be produced jointly and under tight timelines;
- Proactively identify new funding sources, conduct desk-based research, and liaise directly with contacts at corporate and private foundations to identify funding opportunities, gain insight on donor strategies and trends, and build a robust donor pipeline;
- Input and track detailed pipeline and grant information, including budgetary projections, in RA’s donor database (Salesforce); and
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required or equivalent professional qualification;
- 5 - 7 years’ experience in institutional fundraising, or a Master’s Degree with 3 – 5 years’ of experience;
- Proven track record of securing private and corporate foundation grants, with government fundraising experience a plus;
- Must have excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) with fluency in English;
- Spanish and/or French fluency a significant plus;
- Must be a strong writer that is detail oriented, resourceful, and able to work under tight deadlines;
- Experience in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, work environment – preferably within a global organization;
- Clear ability to understand and articulate complex programmatic material in a detailed manner both internally and externally;
- Experience developing communications materials for different audiences a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as be an effective team member;
- High degree of skill in using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required;
- Strong knowledge of conservation and/or community development/forestry/agriculture preferred;
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM system a plus; and
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally on occasion.
Commensurate with experience.
Job Level: 4A
Deadline: February 15, 2023
Only candidates authorized to work in United States will be considered.
The Rainforest Alliance is an equal opportunity employer.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: email@example.com