The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance spans 70 countries and includes farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and millions of individuals. Together we work to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 30 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
At the Rainforest Alliance we combat climate change, protect forests and biodiversity, promote human rights, and improve livelihoods. The enormity of the social and environmental challenges we are facing requires working together in a broad alliance. This is why we bring farmers, forest communities, companies, and consumers together to change the way the world produces, sources, and consumes.
To protect nature and improve lives it’s becoming increasingly urgent that we approach the way we use our land and produce food and other products in more sustainable ways. For this to succeed we need to fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and source, and the choices we all make as consumers.
Our growing global alliance aims to transform our relationship with our natural resources and each other, to create a better future for people and nature together.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
At the Rainforest Alliance we are looking for a pro-active, collaborative, and innovative Country Director who will provide strong leadership to manage the strategic planning, fundraising and implementation of RA’s activities in Peru, overseeing a team of 20+ and annual budget of US$3,000,000 approx. S/he harnesses the institutional strategy of driving landscape and sector transformation to develop and execute a national strategy and country plan that responds to local needs, ensure excellence in all aspects of our mission delivery (technical, financial, compliance), and safeguards RA’s reputation and the quality of implementation of our certification programs. S/he will guide and lead a high-performing team, creating a culture that is aligned with RA’s values and maintaining deep collaboration bonds with colleagues in other countries and functional areas such as Markets; Communications; Standards & Assurance; Institutional Relations; Global Administration, HR and Finance & Accounting. S/he will be responsible for ensuring the financial viability and sustainability of the sub-regional and country programs. S/he will be responsible for building functional alliances to scale-up our impacts. S/he will act as Country Director for Peru and serve as Peru legal representative.
- ·The Rainforest Alliance’s Core Values are Impact, Change, Collaboration, Openness and Trust and as such they form the basis of the behaviours we demonstrate:
Leadership and Management
- Build a high-performing, results-oriented and mission-driven team that reflects the Rainforest Alliance’s vision and culture, creating a positive work environment for personnel;
- Guide, motivate and develop personnel, seeking opportunities for professional advancement and ensuring they understand how their work relates to RA’s global mission and strategy;
- Delegate authority to staff, ensuring that they are supported and connected to the broader organization, and ensure planned objectives are met in line with organizational policy and budgets;
- Update and oversee the successful execution of the Peru Country Strategy and corresponding annual workplans focusing on strengthening the existing work and its escalation;
- Deliver effective and impactful implementation of RA’s mission by fostering a culture of implementation excellence and ensuring that RA attains its technical, financial, and contractual commitments;
- Foster structures and processes for effective collaboration within Peru and with all other relevant RA units, at the regional and global level;
- Ensure the timely and high-quality completion of organizational and donor annual workplans, budgets, reports, and audits;
- Foster and supervise compliance with RA and donor policies and procedures;
- Proactively identify and manage risk, escalating key issues to the supervisor where appropriate; and
- Support the organization to address institutional crises and conflicts relevant to our work in Peru.
Advocacy and External Engagement
- Develop and maintain results-based, long-term partnerships with Rainforest Alliance clients, partners, donors, NGOs, governments, certification bodies and other stakeholders;
- Enhance RA’s reputation, credibility, and positioning in Peru;
- Actively promote the use and consumption of Rainforest Alliance Certified products, and other endorsed certifications (i.e., RSPO; FSC), in collaboration with the Markets department.
- Represent RA at key events, presentations, policy forums and roundtables; and
- In collaboration with the Communications department, develop and disseminate communications and marketing materials on work in Peru.
Fundraising and Business Development
- Develop and implement a long-term integrated Peru financial plan, in collaboration with Finance, IR and other relevant units;
- Proactively identify funding opportunities and cultivate long-term relationships with senior leads and decision makers from governments, companies, aid agencies and other donors;
- Lead and/or provide key contributions to multilateral and bilateral fundraising proposals;
- In coordination with Markets colleagues, support organizational efforts to grow supply and demand for certified products from Peru and increase royalty revenues; and
- Identify and advance potential innovations in RA’s business model in Peru (i.e., unrestricted funding opportunities; fee-for-service partnerships), in collaboration with supervisors and other relevant units.
General & Administrative
- Oversee the management of country office resources, including human resources, as applicable, in a matrix-management set-up with Rainforest Alliance’s global support departments;
- Serve as designated bank account signatory for local accounts, delegating where approved;
- Ensure compliance with policies & procedures and internal controls, and their appropriate local adaptation;
- Co-maintain power of attorney for the legal entity; delegated authority for executing legal documents, including taxation, subject to review and approval; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position will oversee a team of more than 15 staff, with high growth prospects; and
- This position carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelors’ or advanced degree in natural resource management, biology, forestry, agriculture, business administration, or a related field, or equivalent professional experience.
- At least 10 years’ experience in the development and execution of market-based conservation initiatives, community-based forestry, climate smart agriculture, climate change and value chains transformation.
- 5+ years’ experience managing a team of staff.
- Experience with country strategy development and implementation.
- Knowledge and understanding of Rainforest Alliance’s Theory of Change, FSC, Rainforest Alliance certification and/or other certification and verification standards and systems;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Strong knowledge and network of philanthropic landscape for institutional funders and demonstrated track-record securing large grants.
- Demonstrated success building partnerships and business with the private sector strongly preferred.
- Fluent in English and Spanish.
- Ability and willingness to travel at least 30% of the time nationally and internationally.
- Demonstrated commitment to the RA mission and values.
Job LEVEL: 2A
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis until the position is filled.
Only candidates authorized to work in Perú will be considered.