Manager, Institutional Relations
The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance spans 70 countries and includes farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and millions of individuals. Together we work to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 30 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
At the Rainforest Alliance we combat climate change, protect forests and biodiversity, promote human rights, and improve livelihoods. The enormity of the social and environmental challenges we are facing requires working together in a broad alliance. This is why we bring farmers, forest communities, companies, and consumers together to change the way the world produces, sources, and consumes.
To protect nature and improve lives it’s becoming increasingly urgent that we approach the way we use our land and produce food and other products in more sustainable ways. For this to succeed we need to fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and source, and the choices we all make as consumers.
Our growing global alliance aims to transform our relationship with our natural resources and each other, to create a better future for people and nature together.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
At the Rainforest Alliance we are looking for a collaborative, results oriented and globally minded fundraising professional who will be tasked with growing relationships and securing program funding from European donors, with a focus on multilateral and bilateral agencies.
Working as part of an international fundraising team, this position will collaborate with senior program and finance staff to secure six- and seven-figure grants and contracts from European funders. They will contribute to the advancement of donor strategy, proactively identify new funding sources to help ensure healthy financial pipeline growth and represent the organization externally. A key part of the role is to lead cross-organisational proposal development teams in the design and drafting of high quality, competitive proposals.
The position is instrumental in supporting the Rainforest Alliance in its work to continue implementing impact-driven programs in different parts of the world.
- Demonstrating the Rainforest Alliance’s core values in their behaviors: Impact, Change, Collaboration, Openness and Trust;
- Manage a portfolio of European donors for the Rainforest Alliance (RA), with a particular focus on fundraising from multilateral and bilateral agencies;
- Serve as strong external representative for the organization, engaging with key donor contacts to build relationships, gather intelligence on future funding opportunities and to develop new business opportunities;
- Write and edit proposals, concept notes, reports and other donor collateral, working closely with technical, program and finance staff;
- Lead on direct fundraising and proposal pitches, meetings and donor cultivation efforts;
- Develop and coordinate cultivation strategies for a distinct donor portfolio (for some donors these strategies are well-established, and with others there is the needs to develop and grow these); and
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues on the Institutional Relations team, who are based globally, to coordinate on larger fundraising strategies and ensure complementary actions.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience public sector fundraising/program development;
- Proven track record of securing six figure + gifts from European bi-lateral and multilateral agencies, preferably with demonstrable experience of having worked with the following development agencies: Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, the European Union, UN agencies and the Global Environment Facility (GEF);
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional donor trends, particularly in relation to the work of Rainforest Alliance (conservation; agriculture; economic development; sustainable supply chains);
- An understanding of program design and monitoring and evaluation, ideally within an international development setting;
- Experience with Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) within a funding context preferred;
- Experience in a fast-paced, multi-deadline-driven, work environment – preferably within a global organization with strong interpersonal and collaborative skills;
- Experience of working within Latin America, Africa or Asia Pacific context a plus;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) with fluency in English;
- Additional language skills in one of the following: Spanish, Dutch, French and/or German a significant plus;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as be an effective team member;
- High degree of skill in using MS Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) required; and
- Willing to engage in occasional travel where required (nationally and internationally, no more than 10% of the time).
- Core Competencies:
- Relationship management: is able to cultivate and maintain relationships with external, institutional stakeholders;
- Communication skills: in verbal and written form, is able to articulate with conviction the work and aims of the organization; adapts style to situation and audience; and
- Negotiation & problem solving: is able to negotiate and overcome obstacles to reach mutually agreeable outcome; able to influence at the highest levels.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: October 7, 2022
Only candidates authorized to work in Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, Sweden or the UK will be considered.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org