Senior Associate, Flowers
The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance spans 70 countries and includes farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and millions of individuals. Together we work to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 30 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
At the Rainforest Alliance we combat climate change, protect forests and biodiversity, promote human rights, and improve livelihoods. The enormity of the social and environmental challenges we are facing requires working together in a broad alliance. This is why we bring farmers, forest communities, companies, and consumers together to change the way the world produces, sources, and consumes.
To protect nature and improve lives it’s becoming increasingly urgent that we approach the way we use our land and produce food and other products in more sustainable ways. For this to succeed we need to fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and source, and the choices we all make as consumers.
Our growing global alliance aims to transform our relationship with our natural resources and each other, to create a better future for people and nature together.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
At the Rainforest Alliance we are looking for a collaborative and results oriented Lead for the Flowers sector to define a clear sector plan and recommend impactful strategies for this sector towards the goal of sector transformation. S/he will work closely with other relevant departments such as Markets, Markets Innovation, Regions, Themes and Advocacy and beyond.
- The Rainforest Alliance’s Core Values are Impact, Change, Collaboration, Openness and Trust and as such they form the basis of the behaviors we demonstrate;
- Build a flower sector plan and recommend strategies to transform the flower sector that also facilitates the implementation and adoption of the Rainforest Alliance Certification program;
- Drive opportunities with key accounts and multi-stakeholder platforms to advance sector plans and work closely with leads in key markets to continue identifying other market-facing opportunities ensuring the growth of demand for Rainforest Alliance sustainability offerings in the sector;
- Work closely with the Certification Partner Support Senior Officers in the countries of scope providing support to the training of CHs in the flower sector as deemed necessary.
Strategic partnerships and engagement
- Position the Rainforest Alliance as a thought leader on sustainability in the flower sector and represent the organization in new and existing sector platforms;
- Work in close collaboration with key flower producing countries (e.g. Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica) to bring the organizational strategy and plans to life in this sector and with the Market innovation team to identify opportunities and needs for tailored programs in key accounts;
- With the support of the Communications department, promote and disseminate our work and achievements in the flower sector, assuring we reach key stakeholders and strategic accounts, and
- Work closely with the Themes and Advocacy team to facilitate alignment with sector strategies.
- Master’s degree in business administration, business economics, natural resource management or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in agribusiness, commercialization, traceability and marketing of agricultural products.
- Deep knowledge and awareness of the flower sector as well as demonstrated experience both at farm as well as at supply chain level.
- Be familiar with auditing and certification processes as well as with delivering training related to sustainability certification standards
- Proven experience of at least 5 years in market analysis processes and national and international commercialization of agricultural products (necessary in flowers).
- More than 5 years’ experience working with actors at different levels including large companies, producer organizations, public and private sectors.
- Proven experience in building and working well in cross-functional teams.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Availability to travel 40% of the time.
Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: September 30, 2022
Only candidates authorized to work in Colombia will be considered.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: firstname.lastname@example.org