Manager, Integrated Landscapes Project
The Rainforest Alliance is creating a more sustainable world by using social and market forces to protect nature and improve the lives of farmers and forest communities. To achieve our mission, we partner with diverse allies around the world to drive positive change across global supply chains and in many of our most critically important natural landscapes.
Our alliance spans 70 countries and includes farmers and forest communities, companies, governments, civil society, and millions of individuals. Together we work to protect forests and biodiversity, take action on climate, and promote the rights and improve the livelihoods of rural people.
As an international nonprofit organization with more than 30 years of experience in sustainability transformation, we understand that the social and economic well-being of rural communities is tightly connected to ecosystem health. This knowledge has shaped our rigorous programs to advance sustainable land-use and commodity production.
At the Rainforest Alliance we combat climate change, protect forests and biodiversity, promote human rights, and improve livelihoods. The enormity of the social and environmental challenges we are facing requires working together in a broad alliance. This is why we bring farmers, forest communities, companies, and consumers together to change the way the world produces, sources, and consumes.
To protect nature and improve lives it’s becoming increasingly urgent that we approach the way we use our land and produce food and other products in more sustainable ways. For this to succeed we need to fundamentally change the way that businesses operate and source, and the choices we all make as consumers.
Our growing global alliance aims to transform our relationship with our natural resources and each other, to create a better future for people and nature together.
The Rainforest Alliance encourages diversity and inclusion across the global organization. With this commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, disability and any other protected group.
Rainforest Alliance India is recruiting a Manager to lead implementation of the Integrated Landscapes Project funded by the Global Environment Facility, transforming agricultural systems and strengthening local economies in high biodiversity areas of India through sustainable landscape management and public-private finance. The project will promote sustainable land use in commodity production landscapes in Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka States. The postholder will be based in Delhi, lead a project team of staff, consultants and partners and maintain close relations with government Ministries to ensure the project’s alignment with agricultural policies. The Program Manager will work through a project management unit, comprising core staff and key partners, to make decisions collaboratively. The postholder will lead the annual work planning and budgeting process.
- The Rainforest Alliance’s Core Values are Impact, Change, Collaboration, Openness and Trust and as such they form the basis of the behaviours we demonstrate;
- Lead an integrated work planning and budgeting process in coordination with Rythu Sadhikara Samstha (RySS) and Foundation for Ecological Security (FES), which will be members of the Project Management Unit (PMU); secure approval of annual work plans and budgets from Steering Committee and Implementing Agencies (IAs)- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN);
- Oversee the project implementation as a cohesive and efficient operation, ensuring that staff, consultants and sub-contractors have clear roles and the information and resources needed to fulfill them;
- In coordination with the Director, South Asia manage the project staff in accordance with Rainforest Alliance’s HR policy, including recruitment when necessary;
- Lead complete and high-quality narrative and financial reporting as per project requirements for submission to the two IAs and project steering committee;
- Prepare annual work plans and budgets for endorsement by the Project Steering Committee (PSC) and approval by UNEP, and keep PSC informed of project progress;
- Maintain close and regular communication with the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare (MoAFW) and other government Ministries whose portfolio is relevant to the project, for the purpose of aligning with government policies and seeking opportunities for convergence with government programmes;
- Maintain regular communication with the regional and international teams of thematic and programme specialists in Rainforest Alliance, including communications, and secure their contributions to the project as required;
- Serve as member of Rainforest Alliance India senior staff, participating in meetings and ensuring that project activities are consistent with strategy and contribute to growth; and
- Play active role in close coordination with Director – South Asia in identifying and developing opportunities for generating new resources to support expansion of project activities and strategic growth of Rainforest Alliance in India.
- Education: A post-graduation qualification in agronomy, agriculture, environmental sciences, natural resource management or similar.
- Work Experience: At least 10 years of demonstrable, relevant, project/program management experience leading preferably internationally funded large projects, in the area of agricultural development and/or sustainable landscape planning and development. Experience in managing and motivating team members to ensure effective project implementation;
- Experience of working in market-systems development/value chains projects, and understanding of corporate cultures;
- At least three years’ experience working with ministries or national institutions in India that are concerned with natural resource and/or environmental management;
- Financial literacy essential, and experience of having worked directly with financial institutions a significant plus;
- Travel Requirements - Ability to travel to the project landscapes, as and when required up to 25% per year.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Deadline: September 15, 2022
Notes: Only candidates authorized to work in India will be considered.
If you have any questions about the job vacancy, please contact the HR department: email@example.com